Wiki-popularity rating: Russia's local ethnic groups and their languages in 2019
April 20th, 2020
|This article mentions Wikimedia Foundation, one of its projects or related people. Wikinews is one of Wikimedia Foundation projects.|
The table provides average daily pageview stats for:
- Machine-readable Wikidata items (WD, popular for analytics tools, bots and artificial intelligence solutions).
- Multilingual Wikipedia articles (WP, popular reference for people, usually living outside of respective realities).
- Audiovisual files on Wikimedia Commons (WC, interest towards audiovisual heritage).
For analytical purposes, above mentioned indicators were used for calculation of Language/Ethnicity ratios for Wikidata (RWD), Wikipedia (RWP) and Wikimedia Commons (RWC): the higher is the figure, the more popular is the language; the lower, the more popular is the ethnicity.
Ratios for safe languages and those under immediate threat of extinction allow us to conclude that other things being equal investments into development of linguistic brand seem to give better results in terms of preserving cultural diversity than plain funding of ethnic culture events. Types of support activities that come to mind include:
- active promotion of the language use in public sphere,
- creation of linguistic content useful for wider circles of people in regular life on a daily basis,
- widening the scope of topics, described and discussed in this language.